Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Madison County, IA 4-6-2010

Temps were reaching close to 80 today and it was pretty sunny. Decided to hike around a hot spot in Madison County for a few hours.


Found 76 Prairie Ringneck Snakes (Diadophis punctatus)



I was finding 4 to a rock in some places. After flipping nearly 30 ringnecks I flipped my first milk snake of the season. 1 Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum)

Then I flipped my first Northern Water Snake of the Year. 1 Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon)

I found 3 juvenile Eastern Yellowbelly Racers (Coluber constrictor flaviventris)

I then proceeded to flip a ton more Prairie Ringnecks, many of which were the size of this guy.
I was then so consumed with flipping rocks I wasnt paying any attention and when I looked up I saw this beast sunning itself on the rocks. 1 Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus). It was still looking fairly dirty, probably just recently emerged from a den so I snapped a few shots and left it be.



Also found on this day: 2 Eastern Garter Snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis), a bunch of Painted Turtles (Chrysemys picta), 1 large Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina), Chorus Frogs (Psuedacris triseriata), Cricket Frogs, (Acris crepitans), Northern Leopard Frogs (Rana pipiens), and American Toads (Bufo americanus)
Up the nature punx!

1 comment: